Wednesday 30 December 2009

Girl, are you sure your wifey?

I was reading this really cool blog post about wifey and the so called prototype of wifey and it got me wondering. From as far back as I can remember I always remember guys talking about which type of girls is wifey material and which are not. Or if a guy is in a relationship with a girl then she's deemed as wifey in comparison with the other girls that he may have slept with or been dating for a while. So for me, growing up wifey always seemed like an aspiring badge of honour, a special card to be waved to assert your claim that "hey you know what I'm wifey material' with a big smile on your face (OK not as extreme but you get my jist). But then I got thinking... and I did not like where my thoughts were taking me. In fact I felt like i'd been hit by lightening, the epiphany was that strong. Basically I started to feel that we girls are really being played. I mean he can call you wifey, scream from the rooftops that you are the love of his life, I mean he can stamp his feet and clap for days shaking his head and saying 'baby your my number one, your my wifey'. But what does all that mean if he doesn't marry you? If you’re not married or getting married or he's not thinking about you guys getting married then what is up with the wifey terminology?


Wifey is just some boyfriend card to make a women feel like she's up one level from the girlfriend mark. She's better than the rest. You no, similar to telling a three year old that he is a big boy when he is in fact a toddler, but it makes him smile nethertheless and keeps the peace. So she that is how I liken the wifey term. That if she plays her cards extra special then he may just pop that question. Why? Because you’re not just a girlfriend, NO, you’re wifey dammit! But if you’re really up one level then there should be a ring to signify that, otherwise girlfriend is exactly what you are, what we all are. I just think these guys have been gassing up our heads with sweet words for too long that in reality have no meaning because wifey is just the same as everybody else... (I mean girlfriends - not concubines or one night stands or flings). And wifey will be there bending over back words to be a replica of his ideal wife, doing everything a ‘real’ wife would do. That’s not to say a girlfriend shouldn’t take care of her man and vice versa... but we all know that the role of a wife is more than that of a girlfriend, well in my view it should be. So women go breaking their back to play husband and wife... because he told her she was wifey *big smile*! And imagine if the guy breaks up with the wifey, can she really turn around and say

Wifey: No you can’t do this... I’m your wifey


Guy: silence


Wifey: that’s what you told me... I was supposed to graduate and become your wife


Guy: silence


Wifey: I already am your wife, i'm not just your girlfriend.... I've been bending over backwords for you for how long.... you can't just leave me, you can't do this to me... where's my wedding????


Guy: errrr I'll see you around


(pretty pathetic right)! What a sad state of affairs.



*Note to self (an anybody else who will listen): you only become 'wifey' when you get married... until then you are GIRLFRIEND! Do not get gassed up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment